My name is Dr. Tracy Llanera and I am a Filipino scholar in philosophy. My Ph.D. in Philosophy was awarded by Macquarie University in April 2016.
My research lies at the intersection of philosophy of religion and social and political philosophy. My work engages new ways of thinking about nihilism and ethics in contemporary life. My project on nihilism challenges the traditional view that human culture should overcome the malaise of nihilism. In contrast, I argue that it should outgrow the cultural problem of nihilism. My research on ethics in social and political life engages Richard Rorty’s concepts of egotism and self-enlargement as useful tools in a liberal democracy. I plan to take this research toward the direction of virtue theory.
Research-wise, I am a Research Fellow at the University of Connecticut Humanities Institute (Humility & Conviction in Public Life), United States this Fall 2017. I will then serve as a Visiting Research Fellow at the School of Politics, Philosophy, International Relations and Environment at Keele University, United Kingdom in Winter 2018. Teaching-wise, I am affiliated with Macquarie University, Australia and teach, or have taught, undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the Department of Philosophy, Department of Anthropology, and for Open Universities Australia.
- 7 Sep 2017 – Research Roundtable Talk, University of Connecticut Humanities Institute; Title – “Two Cases of Egotism”
- 11 Oct 2017 – UConn Philosophy Brown Bag Series, University of Connecticut
- 1 Nov 2017 (Wed) – UConn Humanities Institute Humility & Conviction in Public Life Fellow Talk (US);
- 17 Nov 2017 – Paper presentation at the The New School for Social Research (Wittgenstein Workshop; Department of Philosophy) (US); Working title – “Rorty and Bernstein: Egotism, Irony, Self-Creation”
- 9 Dec 2017 – Paper presentation at the Social Epistemology Workshop (SEWing Circle), University of Connecticut Humanities Institute
- 13 Feb 2018 – Royal Institute of Philosophy Lecture, Keele University (UK); Working title – “Outgrowing Modern Nihilism”
- 28 Mar – 1 Apr 2018 – Paper presentation at The American Philosophical Association‘s Pacific Division Meeting in San Diego, California as part of The Richard Rorty Society panel (US)